Our Parent Council has five Official roles that require to be filled at the Annual General Meeting at the start of the school year. Any Parent/Carer with a child at the school is eligible (through attendance at the PC meetings) to become a General Member of the PC and to take on these roles. You may nominate yourself or be nominated by another PC Member. A summary of the five Official roles is below :
PC Chair / Chairperson
• To raise awareness of the role and requirements of the PC and to be visible and approachable to all parents.
• To provide information about the PC to new P1 parents- written and by attending intake events.
• You are the main link that liaises with the Head Teacher and Local Authority.
• To be aware of issues, concerns and ideas raised by Parents / Carers and ensure these are raised at the PC meetings of dealt with in the appropriate
• To ensure PC events run smoothly, have the required volunteers and reach their aim.
• To write, gain Head Teacher approval, issue and present (at the AGM) the PC Annual Report.
• To set the Agenda for the PC meetings and to pass to the Secretary for distribution.
• To chair the PC meetings ; sum up issues, points and decisions, ensuring all have a voice.
• To ensure decisions and actions are carried out and funds are distributed/used as agreed.
PC Vice Chair
• Stands in for the Chair and supports the chair with their role and duties.
• Shadows the Chair in preparation for potentially taking on role the following year.
• Supports the Chair.
• Issues timeous notice of PC meetings, agenda and Head Teacher’s Report to all PC members.
• Records meeting attendees (and contact e-mails) and any apologies for absence.
• Takes a minute of meetings, recording decisions and actions to be taken and by whom.
• Provides minutes for all PC members prior to or at a meeting.
• Handles and deals with all correspondence alongside the Chair.
• Issues requests for volunteer help for various PC events .
• To keep accurate financial records.
• To present a financial report at each Parent Council meeting.
• Liaising with the bank and holding the cheque book.
• Ensuring the proper counting and banking of money and making approved payments.
• Providing and accounting for cash floats at events.
• Preparing the annual accounts and arranging for someone to check these before the AGM.
• Purchasing bulk items from the Cash & Carry for PC events.
PC Web Secretary
• Administer & Moderate the St. John’s Primary School Parent Council/Forum Facebook Page:
• Ensure relevant and timeous content updates to the PC sections of the St. John’s PS website: http://st-johns-hamilton-pri.s-lanark.sch.uk/parent-
• Review and advise on any Apps the school may be looking to use
• Create Events on the Facebook Page
• Provide input to any re-design of school website
• Occasionally assist the school senior management team with website/twitter queries
• Review website usage statistics and report to School Senior Management Team